You may be eligible for NHS coverage of your orthodontic treatment if you follow the criteria below. To qualify for this option, you must first be referred to us by your dentist.If you opt for Private Insurance, there is no need for referral; you can simply join us for your free consultation and we will find the best treatment solution for your budget and needs.
Who qualifies for NHS coverage?
Young people under the age of 18 with a clear need for treatment may qualify for coverage of treatment by the NHS.
Adult orthodontic coverage is not commonly available on the NHS, but it would be approved on a case by case basis. If the appearance or health of an adult’s teeth, jaw or face are deemed of concern, the NHS may cover the fee.
In both cases, we require a dentist referral.
The Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN) is the rating system used to assess your eligibility for NHS treatment coverage.
Index Of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN)
The IOTN has five grades. Grades 4 and 5 are eligible for treatment coverage on the NHS. Grade 3 cases may be covered and are judged on an individual basis.
- Grade 1: Almost perfect teeth
- Grade 2: Minor teeth irregularities, such as slight asymmetry or mildly protruding teeth
- Grade 3: Greater teeth irregularities that do not usually need treatment for health reasons, such as a deep bite that doesn't affect the use of your jaw
- Grade 4: Severe teeth irregularities that need treatment for health reasons, such as having more or less than the normal number of teeth
- Grade 5: Severe dental health problems, such as the disruption of normal skull and/or jaw development, or a large number of missing teeth
For more information about how Melton Orthodontics can transform your smile through our treatments, please call us at 01664 481 048 or request a free consultation with us today.Book a FREE consultation